Friday, January 21, 2011

Grey Matter

I'm not one of those people that is really into medical dramas. I didn't watch ER. I watched Grey's Anatomy for a season or two-until it got more into sex than being a medical drama. Needless to say, I didn't think I'd be interested in Grey Matter when I saw the surgeon on the cover of the book. After reading the discription on Tyndale's webiste, I found myself wanting to read the book. It sounds intriguing, and like it will draw me in and make me really care about the people I will meet along the way. Here's what Tyndale says about the book:

"A perfect blend of medical drama and spiritual insight, Grey Matter is a facinating account of Dr. David Levy's decision to begin asking his patients if he could pray for them before surgery. Some are thrilled. Some are skeptical. Some are hostile, and some are quite literally transformed by the request.

Each chapter focuses on a specific case, opening with a detailed description of the patient's diagnosis and the procedure that will need to be performed, followed by the prayer "request." From there, readers get to look over Dr. Levy's shoulder as he performs the operation, and then wait-right along Dr. Levy, the patients, and their families-to see the final results.

Dr. Levy's musings on what successful and unsuccessful surgical results imply about God, faith, and the power of prayer are honest and insightful. As we watch him come to his ultimate conclusion that no matter what the results of the procedure are, "God is good," we cannot help but be truly moved and inspired."

No comments:

Post a Comment