Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Daily Gifts of Grace

From the publisher:
Women of Faith speakers share insight, advice, laughter, and maybe even a few tears in this daily devotional. Voices from fiction, recognizable names from Christian conferences, and well-known Christian writers also are included.
Daily Gifts of Grace is a daily devotional designed specifically for women, with a beautiful hardbound case and a magnetic closure. Readers will be pleased to open it for a devotion that will help them face the day or for an inspirational devotion to close the day.
Contributors include Joni Eareckson Tada, Lisa Whelchel, Jenna Lucado, Sheila Walsh, Kim Cash Tate, Patsy Clairmont, Natalie Grant, Lisa Harper, and others.

A year or so ago Lisa Whelchel came to speak at my church. It was an all day event, and I wondered if I would be able to "sit through" so much lecture. Lisa was dynamic, interesting, and funny. It was like a good friend was up there talking just to me~despite the huge crowd of women listening with me. Our church and many neighboring churches contributed to bringing her to our town, and they all started her Bible Study, The Busy Mom's Guide to Bible Study following her visit. I joined one of the studies and enjoyed it. She was about to release her book, Friendship for Grownups, and I couldn't wait to read it. I started following her on Twitter and that's how I found out about the Booksneeze blogger program. She tweeted the her book was available for free through the program and I joined to get it. It was my first Booksneeze review. I loved her book, and when I saw that she was one of the contributing authors to Daily Gifts of Grace, Devotions for Each Day of Your Year, I knew I would most likely enjoy the book. I recognized a few of the other names also, and decided to give it a try. 

Each daily devotional starts with a Bible passage and is followed by a story, metaphor, or thought by one of the contributing authors. The writing is followed by a short prayer. I enjoyed them because although they are short enough to read quickly (I have three kids three and under, a full time job, and grad school), the are deep enough to be thought provoking. In addition, they invite the reader to dig deeper into the scripture that is quoted at the beginning of the daily writing. I look forward to starting the book over and digging deeper throughout the coming year.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through the Thomas Nelson Publishing Booksneeze blogger program in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment