Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Grandma & Me

My Grandma and Me is the book every grandmother wants to share with her toddler-age grandchildren. Each devotion includes a scripture, a rhyme explaining the theme of the verse, and an interactive song or prayer. In addition to the fun yet faith-filled words, children will enjoy the sweet full-color art throughout the book that has a nostalgic tone for Grandma. The book closes with additional scriptures grandma can use to pass along her faith: the Lord’s Prayer, Ten Commandments, 23rd Psalm, Beatitudes, and a special prayer for her grandchildren. This delightful book will not only become Grandmother's favorite, but it will leave a lasting and important impression on the faith development of many toddlers.The introduction of the book also gives grandmothers who are far-away from their grandkids tips on using the book via phone or Skype.

I requested a complimentary copy of My Grandma & Me through the Tyndale Blog Network's blogger program in exchange for an honest review. 

Although this book is exactly what it says it is; a short Bible verse, poem, and either a song or prayer on each two page spread, I was a little disappointed in it overall. I think I was hoping that it would be a bit more than every other preschool "devotional" already on the book store shelves. Personally, I didn't see much difference from all the others I've seen. Besides the title, there is nothing connecting it specifically to a grandma and her grandchildren, with could be good or bad depending on what the reader is hoping to accomplish with the book. The illustrations are beautiful, and add a lot to the overall book, but the individual devotionals can be read in less than a minute.  I started reading it to my daughter when I received it, and we read three of them before she lost interest and asked me to skim the books for another song. The songs are set to the tune of familiar songs such as "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb," which I found hard to accomplish and kind of ended up making my own tune. All in all, if you don't already have a preschool devotional, this one is cute but it's not any different from the rest on the shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment